Thursday 25 July 2013

My Day Friday

One of the things I'm trying to do currently is take some time to myself. I feel like I have so many projects that I should do, both unfinished and planned, plus everything around the house. It's overwhelming at times.

On the trip up to Levana (I haven't written about it, but two of the others in the WSBN have, read about it here and here) I went up with Elisabeth of The Sewphist. There was much chatting on the drive. One of the things she mentioned was on Friday's she makes things for herself, even if it's just a cocktail, as she's blogged about here Which I thought was a fantastic idea. After a week of mulling it over in my mind, I decided that I was going to declare Friday's as My Day. This meant that I would only work on projects I wanted to, nothing that I felt I should work on. This included housework. Time for guilt free selfish sewing. Or just guilt free relaxing. And if I wanted to start a new project rather than work on an unfinished one, well that is fine too.

The first Friday I did this I ended up with Gynn home sick and a friend visiting. And you know what, I still drafted the pattern for my cloak. Then cut out two of the three layers. By then it was nearly time to go pick up the little one from daycare. I still need to cut out the lining for my cloak. It's a striped fabric, pale lavender and black, reminds me of Beetlejuice. I need to work out how I'm going to do it, mainly if I've got enough to try and pattern match the stripes, which I didn't think of when I bought the fabric, I just loved the colour/pattern. Even though it's going to mean more work and more time, I'm hoping I can pattern match, as it should look better that way. If I can't, I think I'm going to cut the panels going in two directions, so that it looks like it's not meant to match.
Cloak fabrics
The pale stripes are more lavender in real life, compared to the pale pink they look in the photo.
I can't decide if I'll work on the cloak or my Cake top tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. Friday My Day sounds like an excellent idea, and I hope you stick with it! Sorry to hear (on your last post) that you've been battling your depression, sending you emotional support - and much jealousy over going to Burning Man!

    The cape looks great, can't wait to see them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knowing that I get a day of working on what I want makes doing what I need to during the week easier, so hopefully that'll help me stick to it. Thanks for the support. I'll try take lots of photos while I'm away :)

      Delete
  2. Good on you for taking time out for yourself to do things you want. I love that beetlejuice fabric and I hope you will share your family of cloaks when they are made up :) Also I am jealous of burning man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll definitely have to post photos of the cloaks, they kinda count for the Monthly Stitch Cape-Along.

      Delete