Thursday 17 November 2011

Something just for me


I wasn't having a good day today. My husband has been home sick for a week and Guinevere is nearly over her chest infection. I was also struggling with breastfeeding, as she was feeding every hour or two, and each feed was a two boob feed, plus she'd needed bottle topups. All this, amongst other things, added up to me starting to feel frazzled.
I did manage to come up with a solution. When Guinevere went to sleep


I made a pot of peppermint tea, put my Nan's (Mum's mum) tablecloth on the table, added my special teacup, put some dark chocolate on a plate and worked on a lace knitting project.



When I'm stressed there are two things Guinevere can do to help. One is be cute and make me laugh. The other is go to sleep and let me have some time out. Thankfully she chose the latter today.

My tea cup is special to me. I had been looking for one for ages, but struggling to find one that I liked. I wanted the shape that I got, but it was hard to find a colour and design that appealed to me. When I found this in a Dunedin shop, I fell in love then decided I wasn't paying that much for a 3 piece set. I went back in the next day and bought it. Don't regret it one bit. It felt a little odd putting my Nan's handmade table cloth on our ratty old table, but it really added to the whole experience.

The lace knitting is the wedding shawl I'm working on. It's the cherbourg shawl by Angeline Laballery. It is also #3 on my 12 by 2012. But knitting the shawl fitted in so nicely with the elegance of a nice pot of tea.

It can be hard to take the time to do something just for you. Making a point of doing something just for me really refreshed me, and helped me get through the rest of the day with a smile on my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment